|St. Bernard Parish Goals
- Acquire property to enhance existing and develop new public open spaces throughout the Parish.
- Restore and enhance landscaping and vegetation along public corridors and in public spaces throughout the parish within 18 months.
|Housing and Community Development
- Rehabilitate 10,000 damaged homes by 2008.
- Provide assistance to build 1,000 new homes for new residents and returning homeowners of all income levels by 2009.
- Provide counseling assistance on the various housing programs and opportunities for new and returning residents.
- Reestablish elderly housing in the community by building 200 units within 24 months.
- Develop updated land use and development regulations, including building local government capacity by December 2006.
- Update local codes and develop enforcement capacity for the elevation of structures for flood protection by 2007, including temporary measures by July 2006.
|Economic and Workforce Development
- Provide assistance to encourage the return of 80% of pre-Katrina businesses.
- Facilitate the creation of 1000 new jobs by 2008.
- Re-establish the parish tax base to its pre-Katrina levels by 2009.
- Diversify the economic base by expanding the professional services sector.
- Restore the local fishing industry to pre-Katrina conditions and increase the fishing industry capacity by 25% by 2008.
- Restore and enhance cultural and recreational tourism opportunities to attract more visitors per year and increase additional per visit spending opportunities in the parish.
- Expand and support the return of the small business market by providing assistance to approximately 50 small businesses in the next two years.
|Public Health and Healthcare
- Restore community health care services to meet 100% of the parish general medical needs by 2009.
- Restore and rebuild the specialty medical services sector to encourage the return of 50-75% of pre-Katrina providers.
- Provide health care services, facilities and workforce training in order to support a health care system that meets the changed needs resulting from hurricanes Katrina and Rita, by 2012.
|Transportation and Infrastructure
- Restore basic critical services (sewer, water treatment, drainage) to prior capacity and expand capacity to accommodate projected growth and development over 20 years.
- Improve the existing circulation network and transportation facilities to assist in emergency preparedness, economic recovery, and neighborhood vitality.
- Improve and expand the storm water drainage system to reduce flooding in the community during storm events by 2009.
- Restore and improve district educational facilities and services to ensure the continuation of an exceptional education system to attract new and returning residents.
- Provide consolidated and coordinated public safety services to replace damaged emergency services and structures within 24 months.
- Restore and enhance the services provided for elder care, family and childcare, and public mental health needs.
- Restore the parish government staffing capacity to 100% to provide fully functioning services by December 2006.
- Increase parish government staffing capacity within 6 months to adequately address post-disaster recovery needs.
|Flood Protection and Coastal Restoration
- Establish a Multiple Lines of Defense system to protect the people, property, and infrastructure of St. Bernard Parish and the region by implementing projects that address three key areas of emphasis – coastal restoration, flood protection, and surge protection.
- Armor the MRGO levee to provide protection from storm surge degradation.
- Elevate the 40 Arpent Levee to +17.5' to provide increased protection from storm surge.
- Create and restore 70 miles of barrier islands for storm surge mitigation and marsh protection.
- Create and sustain 5,000 acres of coastal wetlands over the next 5 years to reduce storm surge impact and to maintain a healthy and productive natural environment.